Anonymous Egg Donation in Greece
The process of donating ova has given millions of women worldwide the gift of maternity.
Given the difficulty of fertilizing with their own ova that many women face, more women every day are looking in to egg donation as their solution in order to become pregnant
Egg donation is now a simple and painless process, during which the couple is provided with donor eggs. Then, with the use of the recipient's sperm, they are fertilized and implanted to the recipient woman.
Donor eggs is a very promising solution for women with the following probelms:
- Non-existent ovaries
- Early menopause
- Background with multiple miscarriages
- Older women
- Infertility resulting from cancer treatment
- Women with hereditary diseases
- Women with no response to ovarian stimulation drugs
- Women who have multiple failed IVF therapies
According to Greek law there are four types of donors:
- Those who deliver their eggs from love and are called "casual donors".
- Women who after infertility treatments still have extra oocytes and decided to donate.
- A relative or friend of the recipient.
- "Professional donors".
The above are divided into two categories:
It is a woman who decides to deliver her ova for a fee. Although organ and tissue marketing is not legally permitted, these donors request financial compensation for their offer. They will never meet the couple who will use the ova, have nothing to do with it, and do not know if using them will result in some pregnancy.
The known donor usually comes from the recipient's family or friends. In this case, a legal contract is required which describes the details of the donation. This is because the frequent contact of the donor with the child that is to occur may create different psychological problems.
Suitability check procedures for donor eggs.
A series of hormonal, haematological and psychological examinations check the donor health.
These include the following:
- Pap test - vaginal fluid culture
- General Blood - Blood Group and Rhesus
- HIV I, II
- Hepatitis B & C
- Control of Mediterranean anemia and cystic fibrosis
- Hormone control
- CMV, Toxoplasma, Rubella
The donor is given medication for ovarian stimulation and egg production. When ova are considered mature, HCG is administered and 36 hours later the oocytes are collected by ultrasound guidance. Throughout the receiving process, the donor has the right to abandon the donation at any time.
The donor's detailed information on ovarian stimulation, oocytes, the legal framework and any possible side effects that may arise is very important during this process.
On the day the oocyte is taken by the donor, the recipient's wife provides a sperm sample which is prepared in a laboratory and with IVF procedure the the donor's eggs are fertilized. In the case of successful fertilization, the embryos are being transferred into the recipient's uterus.
After 14 days, the recipient takes a pregnancy test and the doctor decides if and when is necessary to take a hormonal treatment that will help the pregnancy.
The couple receiving the egg can choose an anonymous donor that has specific external appearance features such as eye color, hair, weight, height, etc.
What is the Legal Framework in Greece?
- Law 3305/2005 governs the donation of genetic material in our country.
- The maximum age limit at which a woman can undergo Assisted Reproduction Treatment and the Osteoporosis and Sperm Donation Procedure is 50 years old.
- For donors the maximum age limit according to the law is 35 years.
- Before the treatment begins, both sides sign the necessary legal consensus documents and the donor keeps her anonymity.
Egg donation allows infertile women to carry a child and give birth and make their dream of becoming a mother true and enjoy motherhood that otherwise was not possible.